Saturday, September 29, 2007

News Flash: Clergy More Prestigious Than Celebrities

US News and Book of Lists has yet another in its endless compendia of social rankings: Most and Least Prestigious Careers.

Per their Seldom-Wrong calculation, priest/minister/clergy is eighth most prestigious, far above actor, entertainer, journalist and athlete, which rank in the bottom ten.

We think that of all the rankings offered by US News and We're Number One!, this is the most bogus. For a test, invite a firefighter (ranked first) and a semi-famous actor (ranked next to last) to a public event and see who gets asked for autographs.

The list is based on survey information, asking people what careers they think are or should be prestigious. The results are clearly the consequence of the tongue-clicking moralism that does not observe what people treat as prestigious but righteously imagines what ought to be prestigious.

But come to think of it, that's exactly the kind of tongue-clucking moralism that drives this blog. So I guess US News and Please Buy This Week's Ranking is Seldom Wrong after all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

SWNID:

Would it be possible for me to marry in to your family?

I have to admit I'm more in love with your SWNIDish persona than your interpersonal one.

I would love to work in the family business (Sopranos' style). I'll carry my Webster's unabridged on my belt, faithfully, as I know how to rightly divide it.

I want to shield you from the wretched Fiona who keeps questioning your infinite wisdom.

Let me know if you have any available nieces.

Anonymous said...

Nice try, Fiona. I am the real Jim Shoes. I don't (a) suck up to SWNID; (b) ridicule the diction or satiric, know-it-all style of this blog; (c) split infinitives; (d) fail to use upper-case letters for both my names (this shows up only in certain views of comments, BTW).

One of the finer pleasures of reading this blog is discerning the individual styles of commenters. You, in particular, are always pretty obvious, and far too easily to needle.