Friday, June 16, 2006

Dionne Manages Reasonable Analysis of SBC Election

Southern Baptists have elected a convention president, Frank Page, slightly out of the mold of their established leadership for the last twenty years. And amazingly enough, E. J. Dionne of the WaPo offers a reasonable analysis of the significance of this event.

He quotes Page as follows:
"I believe in the word of God,'' Page said. "I'm just not mad about it.''

Then Dionne opines:

The mellowing of evangelical Christianity may well be the big American religious story of this decade.

We're all for that, and amazed that Dionne picked up on it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So then, the President of the SBC would be opposite of the President of the SBL, motto: "I'm crazy about the Bible, I just don't believe it." Actually I don't know the first thing about the current SBL President but I will nonetheless make joke at his or her expense.