Wednesday, May 03, 2006

SWNID Endorsement Decisive in Ohio Republican Primary

As we prepare to retire for the night, we note with some satisfaction that SWNID-endorsed candidate Ken Blackwell has carried the Ohio Republican gubernatorial primary against Jim Petro. With 3/4 of precincts reporting, Blackwell's lead is a decisive 12.7%.

If we were Michael Barone, we'd also be looking at the history of this statistic: with current returns, 90,000 more people voted in the Ohio Republican primary than on the Democrat side. That might mean little. Democrats knew that their primary was in the bag, while Republicans were treated to a nasty spate of tasteless attack ads. And the Rs are famous for coming out to vote even when it doesn't matter, while the Ds generally need to "get out the vote" with phone banks, car pools, cash incentives, and creative use of cemeteries.

But if I were The Reverend Ted Strickland, I'd wonder where is the backlash against that stupid guy in the White House. And I'd be calling the bishop to see if there were any interim ministries I could pick up between January 2007 and the 2008 congressional elections.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I voted for Blackwell rather than testing the Petro dish. I didn't expect Blackwell to win. SWNID is more efficacious than I expected.